The Truth About the COVID-19 Vaccine
These are strange times. There is a worldwide pandemic that has claimed the lives of over 740,000 American people and more than 5 million globally. Although there is a clear, safe, and effective way out of this, the world stands conflicted or downright against getting the vaccine, which is our ticket back to the world we once enjoyed. How can that be? The answer is probably a good topic for another blog post, but for today I will provide facts that dispel some of the most common vaccine rumors, misinformation, and misconceptions. I hope that if even one person feels better about the COVID-19 vaccine, it will be a victory!
The Most Common Fears about the COVID-19 Vaccine
It Will Cause Infertility
This misconception developed because of the way the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) work. They both send a manufactured piece of mRNA into our cells wrapped in a lipid (fat) casing. This piece of mRNA gives our cells a message to produce a spike protein that resembles the COVID-19 vaccine spike protein. Our bodies react to this message and will make antibodies to spike proteins that are like this.
If the COVID-19 vaccine gets in us, our bodies now make antibodies to that. Contrary to some information posted on social media, there is no connection between the antibodies that are made against the spike proteins of the COVID-19 virus and proteins that embryos need to implant in the uterus. No pregnancies have adversely been affected.
The COVID-19 Vaccine Will Alter Your DNA
No, it will not! The mRNA is only in our cells for a few hours, and then it disintegrates. It cannot alter your DNA.
The Vaccine Transmits the Virus Itself
No way! The vaccine is not alive and cannot cause or transmit COVID-19 at all.
It Contains a Microchip
Seriously now! It does not! No one will be tracking you.
The COVID-19 Vaccine is Not That Effective Because Boosters are Necessary
Vaccines need boosters to remind them of the antibodies that need to be made. This is a typical situation. The vaccine works great!
You Will Have Stronger Immunity if you get COVID-19 and Develop Your Own Antibodies
- There is no guarantee that someone will develop natural immunity.
- It is unpredictable if when you do develop natural immunity whether it will be strong immunity.
- Natural immunity can decrease over time. Research has now demonstrated that you are five times more likely to get COVID-19 again with natural immunity vs. the vaccine.
- The vaccine is your best protection against hospitalization and death!
Children Don’t Need the Vaccine Because They Don’t Get Very Sick
- Kids tend not to get very ill from COVID-19, but they do spread it.
- Kids can still get long-haul syndrome.
- The more people that are vaccinated, the fewer places that the virus can go.
- The virus needs to pass from person to person in order to survive and thrive.
- The virus needs hosts in order to find ways to mutate and survive.
- Vaccinating children is an important part of developing herd immunity and stopping the virus from having suitable hosts.
Family Health Centers Can Answer Your COVID-19 Questions and Concerns
If you are still wondering about any other problems connected to vaccination, we are here to help you and answer your questions and concerns. Reliable education is power. Request an appointment at a Family Health Centers location near you to learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine today!